Take a note from the late Michael Jackson and let’s begin. The most time consuming exercise you’ll have to do all week, but once it’s done? You’re coasting! Consider this the biggest test of your organizational skills. Here are 5 easy steps for a successful (and healthy) grocery shop;
- Make a list. I prefer to write mine down (yes, the trusted duo, pen & paper!) or you can type it on your phone, send yourself an email etc. whatever works best for you. Appdicted? Sign up in store at any Loblaws and try the PC Plus mobile app. You can create a shopping list, set preferences and save money on groceries! (P.S. I don’t work for Loblaws, I just really really dig this app!)
- STICK to the list. Meaning, if it’s not on your pre-set list, take it out of the basket! Not only will this keep you focused on the task at hand but you’ll save a buck or two at the same time.
- Outer GTA is your best friend. No, I don’t mean go to Mississauga for groceries. The majority of your shop should take place around the outer aisles/areas of the store. This is where you’ll find all the yummy fresh eats you need, rather than the quick-fix packaged goods you think you want.
- Buy what you like, not what you think you should like. Kale is the new black these days, but if you don’t like kale, don’t buy kale! If you are putting items on a list that you know you or your family will not touch, what’s the point? Buy the foods you’ll want to eat and half the battle is already done!
- Change with the seasons. You wouldn’t wear a winter jacket in the summer, so you shouldn’t eat the same produce month-to-month either. I know you can get all kinds of produce year-round these days but seasonal fruits and vegetables will contain a higher nutrient value. Not to mention, you’ll be supporting your local Canadian farmers! (Good karma? Check.)
This may seem like a little extra work now, but after a few focused trips, you won’t even know you’re doing it. Establish the habit and change the way you shop.
I challenge you to apply these steps to your next grocery shop. Leave a comment or tweet @sarahkcopes and let me know how you’re getting on!
Not sure where to start? See my list this week below for some inspiration.
Happy shopping! #lifefitwork